Setting up the Linksys RE6700 (AC1200) dual-band WiFi range extender is quite simple with its web-based setup feature. As a matter of fact, there isn’t any need for the installation CD or setup software for the Linksys extender setup process. Prior to starting with the Linksys setup extender process, make sure of the following:
- A life and active WiFi connection.
- Your personalized or default WiFi network name (SSID) and password (passphrase/ security key).
- The Linksys RE6700 should be plugged into a power outlet. Wait until the light is blinking orange before starting the setup process.
Follow the easy steps below to set up your range extender with ease like a pro
Use a computer or laptop and connect it with your Linksys WiFi range extender’s default network name (SSID) that is Linksys Extender Setupxxx.
Note: XXX presents the MAC address of your Linksys RE6700 WiFi range extender. These are the last three characters of the address that can be found easily on the back panel of your device.
Open an internet browser. Enter http://extender.linksys.com in the address bar.
Hit the Start Setup button.
Now, a page will be displayed named as ‘how do you want to use your range extender’? (without quotes). You have to select ‘as a wireless range extender’ and click on ‘next’ (without quotes).
Here, you have to select your available and active WiFi. Remember, that if your WiFi is using the 5GHz band then you will see it clearly with 2.4 GHz band.
Wait for some time for your device to scan your network. On the other hand, if you have hidden your network name (SSID), then scroll down and click on ‘manually enter the network name and password’ (without quotes). Once done, click on ‘next’.
Type your password in the ‘enter the network password’ field and click on ‘next’.
You will now be prompt to configure your extended wireless network. Change the settings as per your preference and click on ‘next’. It is recommended – do not keep any settings as default.
Note: Your extended wireless network would be the WiFi that your Linksys RE6700 will be broadcasting for nearby wired and wireless devices to connect.
In case, the ‘spot finder’ indicates that your Linksys device’s location is ‘just right’ here, then you have to click on ‘next’. As a matter of fact, this feature determines the signal strength and internet connectivity between your main WiFi router and Linksys RE6700 range extender.
- If your Linksys device is placed far away from your router, then place the Linksys device within the reach of it and go back to repeat the step 1.
Secure your range extender by creating a network name of about 8 characters and password of about 16 characters. If you have a problem of forgetting things, then you can also add a ‘password hint’.
- Once done, hit the ‘save’ button.
Congratulations! You have set up your Linksys RE6700 successfully.
If you cannot connect to Linksys extender, then ensure the following :
- Router and the extender must be placed closer to each other.
- Both should carry the latest and up-to-date version of the firmware.
- Ensure that your existing router is placed a bit away from your modem provided by your service provider.
- Attach your computer/ laptop to the Linksys RE6700 with an Ethernet cable.
- Make sure that you have the correct personalized or default to access the Linksys extender login page.
- Also, ensure that you are typing the correct web address in the address bar, not in the search bar for extender Linksys setup.
Dial 1-844-748-5637 (toll-free number) and get immediate assistance for all your queries and troubles.